This is our DIY towel rack:
First, we went on a hunt for hooks. I found these at Home Sense for $4.99 each. I then saw them at a fancy schmancy store for $15 each!
| You can use any hooks that appeal to you but remember that if your are keeping them outside they need to be weather resistant |
Steps to getting this look:
1. I purchased a piece of untreated pine wood 3/4 inch thick by 6 inches high and 8 feet long (the size depends on how many hooks you need and the size you want the piece to be). I used untreated pine because it's cheap ($7). The wood plank was cut to the desired length (6 feet).
2. Spray paint the wood red and let it dry.
![]() |
| We used Rust-oleum American Accents in Colonial Red |
![]() |
| We used Rust-oleum American Accents in Blossom White |
4. Using sand paper, lightly sand the white paint so that the red paint shows. This gives the plank a distressed look.
5. Seal the entire plank and also the hooks with a weather protector.
![]() |
| This is what we had on hand but any type of outdoor wood protecting sealer will do the job. |
6. Using a drill, screw in rustproof screws to hang the hooks at equal distances.
7. To hand it on the fence, I drilled two holes at both ends of the plank so as to pass a long tie wrap that would hang the towel rack to the fence post.
| The holes were drilled behind where the hooks would be located so as to not be visible in the final product. |
8. Hang the hooks on the screws and install on the fencepost.
9. Hang your towels!
With the remaining two feet of the wood plank, I repeated the process and installed garden tool hooks (also purchased at Home Sense).
Enjoy!
Nancy



This is a great idea! Love the way it turned out. We use our fence out by our pool to throw towels over, I will be on the look out for some cool hooks now. Love the garden tool organizer too!
ReplyDelete~Danylle
www.NanaMoonShop.com
I made a back pack rack very similar to this just a few months ago! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea, but I think I will use it indoors, in my kids bathroom, where the towels always end up on the floor, hopefully this will help.
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Santa
Hi. I am a new follower. Love this project! Stopping by to invite you to join Thrifty Thursday, because your I am loving your posts. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteJohnnie
Your post just made me realize that I am constantly hanging our pool towels over the side of my fence. I MUST create some kind of towel rack outdoors. Thanks for the inspiration.
ReplyDeleteMichael
bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com
I found your site through a blog party! I like your bold title and am looking forward to exploring more!
ReplyDeleteI would love for you to link up your post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2
I am a new follower!
we tend to’re living in powerful economic times throughout that we could all stand to avoid wasting a little extra cash wherever and however we can. the site offers you a staggering number of advantages when it comes to buying your towels wholesale.
ReplyDeletewholesale towels