Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Another Bathroom Reno! Oh Boy!!

So I did it again! I took a hiatus from blogging for a little bit- actually months! Oh, how time flies! But this doesn't mean I haven't been dreaming, building and styling:) Many projects have been completed and many are, as always, pending. The largest and most significant project was a complete gut and rebuilding of my tenants bathroom. This was the 3rd bathroom renovation in five years- and the last for a long, long while! When my tenant kindly asked me in early December if we could renovated the bathroom my immediate response was a diplomatically delivered "No". We had no intention of renovating the tenants bathroom, even though we knew it was extremely dated and overdue. But then I thought about it, went to see the bathroom and I gave in to her request. The bathroom was so nasty- I wouldn't want to live with it and I don't want to be a slumlord. So hear are the pics of the before:

 
 Notice that the blue tile on the floor, presumably from the 90s, clashes soooo horribly with the color of the wall tile. Also, the vanity was in such bad shape from fifty years of wear and tear. The bath area had been covered with a bath-fitter, probably also from the 90s, but it to had done its time. And so out went everything and this is what it looked like:
 

And by the end of all the work here was the result:
 

A few tips for Montrealers looking to renovate: 1. We got the porcelain tile at a Tilmar for an amazing price, less than 1/3 of the original price. They have a small room off of the showroom where you'll find leftover tile stock at great prices. But you have to ask a salesman to take you to it because it's not visible from the showroom. 2. We hired a FANTASTIC company to undertake the bathroom renovation. I've never mentioned any company on this blog but I feel that these guys deserve a great deal of praise. The company is called Renovation Final Finish.
Here is the review I wrote about them on the Handycanadian website: "These guys are GREAT! My husband and I hired Benjamin and his team to renovate our tenant's bathroom and we were both extremely satisfied- this is no small feat!!! The woman's perspective: What I most appreciated was that we were consulted on tons of little details such as tile patters, tile baseboard height, placement of towel rack, etc. that resulted in the work being completed exactly to our taste. The man's perspective: What my husband appreciated most was that they went the extra mile by re-framing flimsy walls, insulating the exterior wall, leveling the floor, insulating the duct for the fan, etc. The renovation required completely gutting the bathroom so as to take it from the 1960s to the 21st century. The work was meticulously completed in just over two weeks. After having worked with many "questionable" contractors in the past, Final Finish was like a breath of fresh air! From the very start the team was timely, organized, considerate and extremely knowledgeable. We can therefore recommend Renovation Final Finish without hesitation and look forward to hiring them for our future projects."

Smiles,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...