Monday, August 8, 2011

Tea set and doilies: display cabinet makeover

As I was writing this post I realized that so much of what we have is old: furniture, linens, porcelains, etc. What can I say we like old stuff- the look, the smell, the texture, the history...ok I'll stop now!

So here's a taste of some of our old stuff. We have a beautiful little display cabinet (1930?) that my mother-in-law gave us. It's in the entry hall but has, for a long time, lacked pizazz. Like my dining room, my entry hall has old-busy tile I expected to replace with wood floors years ago. Now that Tony and I have decided to live (albeit grudgingly) with this tile for a few more years (due to renovation fatigue and $$$) I decided to pretty up this cabinet.

Here is the before:
I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of blue and white porcelain. You see two pieces in the cabinet on the top and bottom shelf.  Despite my adoration of blue and white I've finally accepted the fact that it clashes with the floors. Another issue is that whatever is placed in the cabinet doesn't really get seen because it's just too dark in there.
Looking through the drawers of stashed away goodies, I rediscovered a pretty tea set (1960s) that belonged to my grandmother. Into the cabinet it went- and it looked great! Except that it was still too dark in the cabinet.

I thought of painting the inside of the cabinet but I change my mind so often that I'd find myself painting it again within the year. So I decided to line the back of the cabinet with linen dollies (also old). 

And here is the result:

It's much brighter!

I think this shows off the doilies much more than when they're on a shelf or table where it generally gets covered.

The tea set is actually a light sage green but appears white(ish) in the image. I'm aware I need a better camera... or maybe I need to learn to take better pictures. We'll just blame the camera for now.

Enjoy!
Nancy


Linked to parties on Link party page and
Between naps on the porch

5 comments:

  1. brilliant! not only does it show off the doilies, but it shows off the tea set (and whatever else you'd rotate in), too. it makes the scrollwork of the piece stand out, too. gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the doilies help showcase the tea set very well, great idea! Thanks for sharing! We hope you will consider helping kids with cancer by linking into the Miracle Makeover party this coming week
    at http://www.designgivesback.com. Together we can change things! We appreciate you.

    Love,
    Sherry, DGB Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so great and I love the many possibilities for changing things up with different fabrics! Thank you so much for linking up and partying at Home Savvy A to Z this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always blame the camera......that's what I do!!
    Oh by the way....everthing always looks better with dolies ;)

    ~~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...