Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Area Rug DIY

A few weeks ago I posted about my efforts to find an area rug to hide the dated dining room tiles. Problem: all the rugs in the necessary size (10x14 feet) were way over my price range- I could almost replace the floors with the cost of the area rug!

So I improvised and created this rug:
Not perfect but not too bad either. In person, it really does the trick- distracts from the busy floor and allows the eye to focus on other features of the room.


So here is how I made this rug:


Step 1: I purchased a thick fabric in the desired color and size. In my case I needed 8 meters.


Step 2: The fabric was cut in half, into two four meter strips, and sewn together. I also passed the over-lock around all the edges to keep it intact when it has to be washed.
Step 3: I then purchased enough thick and sturdy back-pack strap to trim all the edges of the rug and glued it using fabric glue. 
Tip 1:  Make sure the fabric glue can be machine washed.
Tip 2: When gluing the strap, place as many heavy objects on it as possible. Encyclopedias are perfect for this!

Step 4: To keep the rug in place I used two-way carpet tape. The tape was first stuck to the fabric and then to the floor. I stretched the rug out as much as possible as I did this. I did not add a carpet backing to the fabric but you can if you'd like it to have a softer and more cushiony feel. 

Once again, here is the result:



To date, no one has noticed that it isn't a real rug. So I guess it worked:)


Enjoy!
Nancy

7 comments:

  1. Yes it has worked & really well what a great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I need an area rug badly but I don't have the budget for it :) I would love to try this - thanks!
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! Such a great idea for a DIY!

    I have a link party going on now, called Show & Share. I'd love to have you link this up!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I've been looking for a large, simple rug and all are out of my price range. Might have to try this out for myself! I'd love it if you would stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Trio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea! Rugs of that size can be SOOOOO expensive. Well done! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. We are partying again and I hope you will stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!

    I would love it if you would share this and/or any other projects you have been up to at Tuesday Talent Show at Chef In Training Tomorrow! Plus there is going to be a fun giveaway too! Thanks so much and I hope to see you there!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this blog. After reading these above are you confused where to go for Buying Area Rugs, Bath Mats; suggested site AmeyaHome.com(Home Furnishing Company) is best for you. Shop today Handmade Rugs and get discount on purchase of each sale.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...