Monday, July 11, 2011

Goodbye pink bathroom: renovating our mainfloor bathroom

Last week I blogged about our first renovation project in 2007 which was the basement bathroom. We waited 3 years before we decided to jump into renovating our main floor bathroom. We knew the cost would be sky high and the work would be crazy!

Let me first show you what the bathroom looked like:


Could there be any more pink in this room???
I am very well aware of the Save the Pink Bathroom movement and after seeing the site I actually, to my husbands horror, thought of how I could make it work. Also, the historian in me felt that the 1960s bathroom belonged in a museum and that it would be a shame to get rid of it. BUT, it was in such bad condition that it was honestly gross! It looks a lot better in the pictures. There was sooo much mold in the grout of the walls and floors. There were silver fish (humidity bugs) crawling in the flooring (nasty!). The cabinetry was falling apart. The tub was permanently dirty. And much of the plumbing needed to be changed. So the demolition began in October 2010.


The night before the demo, dressed in my most 1960s inspired outfit with my pets in hand, I enjoyed posing in my Mamie Pink bathroom.





 
And two days later it looked like this:

And so the rebuilding process began. Notice my forced smile- this is heavy work! But luckily I have my pink steel-toe construction shoes to keep me stylish. It took us almost 5 months to put it back together. 

Check back soon as I describe the rebuilding process.

Nancy

5 comments:

  1. This is crazy...I wouldn't even know where to start. Like I said, consider you & your hubby hired for my home renovations :)

    Lena xoxo
    www.qualityrivetsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see a redo...can't wait to follow along on this process!! Thank you so much for your nice comments on our blog. We are thrilled to find and follow yours, also!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha love the pic of you and Churchill tilting your heads while looking at eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love seeing something come together cant wait to see the reveal

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...