Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Doilies reinterpreted

Doilies were prized possessions in my mothers home. She is from the Azores and women there would (pr-1960s) make these by hand  and sell them to earn some money. At my mother's house we had them placed on all the tables and consoles. When I got married I inherited some of these little beauties but I honestly can't see myself placing them on tables.

So for years they've been in a drawer in my dinning room, which is a total shame. Last week I decide to create a wall art piece that would show off some of my dollies.
Pretty doilies make great wall art.


How to do this:


1. I purchased a 30"x40" framed canvas at Omer Deserre (any other art store should also sell these) for $15.

2. I purchase 1.5 meters of fabric (I picked a royal blue fabric)

3. Lay the frame down on the fabric and cut the fabric so that it raps around the frame by about 2 inches on each side. At this point iron your fabric.


4. Staple the fabric tightly around the frame. Remember to fold the corners as you would a gift to minimize bunching.

5. Decide on the pacement of your doilies and pin them in place.

6. Using a needle and threat the same color as your doilies sew the edges of the doilies in place. This takes a little bit of patience.
Looks like snowflakes, don't they?
My doilies are now sitting pretty in our home office. Haven't made up my mind if I should hang it vertically or horizontally.

Smiles,
Nancy


This project was included in the DIY project parade features on DIY Showoff. Thanks!


Linking to:


24 comments:

  1. Nancy, that was a great idea. I like the design of the dollies. My mom still makes them but doesn't do round ones. GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO PRETTY!

    (My Grandmother was from Holland)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the graphic look! Thanks for the idea; I definitely will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!!! Now I know what to do with the few I have inherited from here and there!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello. It's always nice to chat with a fellow Canadian blogger. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bundle of doilies in a zippered plastic protector..... dozens of them. While cleaning out my mother's home, the little pile grew and grew. I will use this wonderful idea to display these generations of doilies. Don't they make you think of the little circle of women sitting and talking and tatting, right tatting? My mother's, grandmother's, great-grandmother's hands have caressed every inch of these delicate works of art. Once it's all together, it will hang in my mother's nursing home, where she now resides. Maybe it will fill her room with old conversations and long lost voices. I too, am Canadian, but have been living in Chicago since my marriage 25 years ago. Loving Daughter

      Delete
  5. This looks so cool! Love this idea. They really do look like snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is fabulous! i absolutely love this, it's so whimsical. definitely snowflakey as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece of art - and meaningful too! I love the end result and even better is that each doilie was handmade - they are each a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely! What a great way to show off this beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new idea to try! I think it is Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pretty and fresh. I really like how the contrast with the big and little ones! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where do you find these big doilies?
    I'm inviting you to add this to our linking party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/american-pickers-with-linking-party.html
    Have a great weekend,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! My mother-in-law gave me a stack of doilies that she had made and I've been trying to decide how I should use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an adorable DIY project! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! I love that you used fabric and it's such a deep color that it just makes the doilies and their detailing pop and look gorgeous! I'm totally wondering about painting a canvas and using paper-y doilies.... I just love this idea! And I'm your newest follower - your blog is super-cute! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy - this is beautiful! I collect doilies but never know what to do with them. You're such an inspiration! Can't wait to do this myself!

    I'm including a link back in this week's highlights! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl your on fire! Congratulations on the well desevered recogniton. I love this project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing...loved it... You are welcome to view my blog and join me...

    ReplyDelete
  18. soooooooooo gorgeous! oh my gosh, what a beautiful way to display these heirlooms

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent idea!! It is a shame to hide all those works of crochet art in A DRAW, as you say. My mom used to say draw, rather than drawer! Where did you grow up? How interesting!! I haven't heard that in ages! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this. How did you sew the ones that wrap around the canvas edge?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks cute! :) Might even decide to try to make one some day! ^^

    ___
    call Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete
  22. so pretty! I love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button and thank you for linking submitting this inspiring post. It reminded me to display also the beautiful crocheted handkerchiefs that my aunt made for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...