Monday, July 25, 2011

DIY outdoor towel rack

When the spa was installed we quickly realized we needed somewhere to hang our towels.  We've received many compliments on our towel rack so I thought I'd share it with you.


This is our DIY towel rack:


 




First, we went on a hunt for hooks. I found these at Home Sense for $4.99 each. I then saw them at a fancy schmancy store for $15 each!


You can use any hooks that appeal to you but remember that if your are keeping them outside they need to be weather resistant


Steps to getting this look:


1. I purchased a piece of untreated pine wood 3/4 inch thick by 6 inches high and 8 feet long (the size depends on how many hooks you need and the size you want the piece to be). I used untreated pine because it's cheap ($7). The wood plank was cut to the desired length (6 feet).


2. Spray paint the wood red and let it dry.
We used Rust-oleum American Accents in Colonial Red
3. Spray paint the wood white and let it dry.
We used Rust-oleum American Accents in Blossom White


4. Using sand paper, lightly sand the white paint so that the red paint shows. This gives the plank a distressed look.  


5. Seal the entire plank and also the hooks with a weather protector.
This is what we had on hand but any type of outdoor wood protecting sealer will do the job.


6. Using a drill, screw in rustproof screws to hang the hooks at equal distances.


7. To hand it on the fence, I drilled two holes at both ends of the plank so as to pass a long tie wrap that would hang the towel rack to the fence post.
The holes were drilled behind where the hooks would be located so as to not be visible in the final product.


8. Hang the hooks on the screws and install on the fencepost.


9. Hang your towels!




With the remaining two feet of the wood plank, I repeated the process and installed garden tool hooks (also purchased at Home Sense).






Enjoy!
Nancy

7 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Love the way it turned out. We use our fence out by our pool to throw towels over, I will be on the look out for some cool hooks now. Love the garden tool organizer too!
    ~Danylle
    www.NanaMoonShop.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a back pack rack very similar to this just a few months ago! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, but I think I will use it indoors, in my kids bathroom, where the towels always end up on the floor, hopefully this will help.

    Thanks,
    Santa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I am a new follower. Love this project! Stopping by to invite you to join Thrifty Thursday, because your I am loving your posts. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post just made me realize that I am constantly hanging our pool towels over the side of my fence. I MUST create some kind of towel rack outdoors. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Michael
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your site through a blog party! I like your bold title and am looking forward to exploring more!

    I would love for you to link up your post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we tend to’re living in powerful economic times throughout that we could all stand to avoid wasting a little extra cash wherever and however we can. the site offers you a staggering number of advantages when it comes to buying your towels wholesale.
    wholesale towels

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...