Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bathroom artwork: Hannah Hoch montage

Last week I blogged about the renovation of my basement bathroom. It's been completed for a while but I've been holding out on buying art because I have a specific piece in mind. To add a little pizazz I'd love to have a print of this montage in the bathroom:

Hannah Hoch's montage "Marlene" 1930 "Two men gaze up towards a pair of huge legs wearing high heals and stockings which are mounted upside down on a traditional architectural pillar... The name Marlene is written across the stage as if done by a fan. 1930 was the year that Marlene Dietrich starred in the movie the "Blue Angel."
...Hoch challenges and provokes questions regarding the role of gender identity and women's sexuality."
 


Hannah Hoch was a German Dada artist from mostly the 1920s to the 1940s. Because she did not achieve the fame she deserved (for a variety of reasons), it is very difficult to get a print of this image- I've tried desperately. There has recently been renewed interest in her work, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.
 
If I could get this print in a large enough format I think this would be a great piece to hang above the toilet. Don't you think?


P.S: you can watch the film Blue Angel on youtube- it's great! 


Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...